Written to the sound of “I Wanna Go Back to Ohio State.”
It is 7:00 in the morning, and I am leaving for Columbus in a few hours for a number of reasons. But the majority of this weekend’s visitors to my hometown will be going for one reason alone: Ohio State Homecoming. I am fairly certain that I do not need to explain the significance of Homecoming, as any student or alum of The Ohio State University will probably understand. However, as my agenda is already packed with events, it was suggested that I make a list of all the things I wanted to prioritize for this weekend…
- Visit all of my favorite Columbus pets, including, but not limited to, Rumi, the Shiba Inu; Darcy, the Bernese Mountain Dog, and her baby brother, Homer, the Blue Great Dane; and Ezra, the Holland Lop.
- Get coffee at Yeah, Me Too, Sally’s favorite coffee shop. This place is truly something… “Minimalist” would be an understatement. The building is unnoticeable and looks like it could easily have been closed down. There are only two options for coffee–hot or cold (cash only, of course). Its biggest draw is coming up with conversation topics to try to get the owner/barista to speak.
- Somehow stay away from Jeni’s, Insomnia, and Pistacia Vera. Leaving the last week of my no-sweets challenge for this weekend was fantastic planning on my part…
- Drop by Chateau DZ. I always love seeing how much my beloved sorority house has changed or not changed since I lived there.
- Walk into Bullwinkles. I already despise the idea of this newer campus club, but someone sincerely believes I must check it out. This is probably one of those places I have to be dragged to, but four drinks later, never want to leave.
- Eat at Hot Chicken Takeover. I don’t even like fried chicken that much, but the ridiculous number of times I’ve seen this food truck/North Market establishment on my Instagram feed has convinced me that I finally need to try it.
- Go to Ethyl & Tank. I wish this campus bar had existed when I was still in school because I absolutely love it.
- Stay awake for all of Saturday. A noon game means waking up much earlier, before spending the entire day, hopefully into the night, drinking. It’s been a while since I’ve done that.
- Glam Fam photo shoot. Always a priority.
- Avoid Fireball at all costs.
It is now 7:45 in the morning, and *ichigan still sucks.